Tuesday, November 11, 2008

lax-a-daze-i-cal

OK, I know I am supposed to be working…working hard to pay my mortgage, buy xmas wreaths from the diva's school fundraisers, pay my electric bill, etc. etc. And I do. But for some reason, small pockets of pleasurable time have forced their way into my life. And I have allowed, and invited, them in.

Lately, my pleasure has been grabbing a 30 minute nap in my car when I pull into the parking garage at work. I find a quiet corner, crank my seat back, turn on NPR low, and catch a snooze. It's wonderful. It's weird. But I like it. I have confessed this to a few people and they just stare at me. One guy in my office even seeks out my car in the morning to see if he can catch me sleeping. But I am a stealth sleeper, so that will never happen. Sadly, soon I won't be able to do it because it will be too cold. I like my car really warm. Especially the seat warmers. Those come in handy even in summer when we are blasted with air conditioning from every angle.

The other pleasure that has become more of a habit is sleeping fully clothed. When I put the girls to bed, I tell them I am going to lie with them for five minutes. Then, I get all snuggly with their sweet breath, soft skin, and little thumb sucking sounds that I stay for five more minutes. By that time, I am so engrossed in whatever story we are listening to, that I give in and let sleep engulf me. Last night it was Nancy Drew, "The Secret of Twin Elms" read by Laura Linney. She reads very well, a bit fast, but all in all, I can see why she was hired. Last night the attire was Lucky Jeans, a too tight white blouse, my luxury Peter Millar cashmere sweater and a pocket full of tootsie roll wrappers, bobby pins, and ponytail holders. The only bad thing about this habit is that I am not really consistent with my dental care. I need to do that before putting them to bed. The beautiful thing about it is that I get a good, long night's sleep, and amazingly, as a pull my bra off in the morning that I just slept in, I feel pretty rested.

Today, I just didn't feel like busting hump. I took the divas to school (after trying to pick Diva 2's nose -- she has a terrible case of raw nose with tons of stuff stuck up there -- I hope the teachers don't ask her to throw her head back and laugh) and my hair was just gross. So I came home, laid in bed for 30 minutes and listened to the TODAY show, had a toasted sesame bagel with pumpkin butter and a hot cup of coffee, then I straightened my hair. It's really straight 'cuz I didn't have to hurry. AND, I was at work at 9:11 am.

Now, that was lazy. And, it was pleasurable. Today, that's ok by me.

No comments: