Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Grease Fire II


Well, the grease fire has reached it's full potential...read to find out.

After our bake element was shot I went on-line to GE and ordered a new bake element for $100. Of course the little pin which supported the element was attached, so I had no choice. The nice lady at GE assured me that even an idiot could install it. Just make sure to turn off the circuit breakers.

It arrived, and husband couldn't wait to install it. Did he read the directions? No. Did he call me at work to walk him through the installation? No. He just tried to install it. Lo and behold, as he took out the old element and tried to plug in the new one, a huge spark spewed out the back of the oven and sent a scintillating jolt through his body. Oops...he didn't turn off the circuit breaker.

The plug for the bake element had a big black ring around it. Smoke eeked out. It was dead.

So now what? I called the appliance repair place. $200 to come out and fix it. Plus $100 dollars for the element. That's $300. I know it's not the most environmentally sensitive solution, but it sounded like a new oven to me.

And so it is. And it's alot nicer. (Although picking it out wasn't so great -- I did find out at the appliance store that both kids can fit in a dryer at the same time). Best of all, mother in law paid for it because she can't have her son electrocuted, after all.

The lesson is this: a grease fire is not always a bad thing.

No comments: